Miraslau Kobasa, Chairman of the Board, took part at the seminar on September 12, 2018, and presented proposals on local-self-government development in the Republic of Belarus and possible directions of cooperation with the Council of Europe.
Proposals on local self-government development
- To analyze Belarusian legislation on local self-government on the issue of its relevance to the principles and norms of the European Charter together with the experts of the Congress of local and regional authorities of the Council of Europe.
- To design and adopt the Concept of local self-government development in the Republic of Belarus based on the principles of the European Charter of Local Self-Government as a strategy document. The key points are decentralization, the principle of subsidiarity, competency, community property, administrative-territorial devision, associations of local self-governments, the staff training scheme for local self-governmental bodies, local communities of citizens, the forms of citizen participation in decision making on local level, etc.
- To define the steps and mechanisms of implementation of the Concept and to assign responsibility for its implementation.
- To develop the legislation on local self-government with the aim to adopt it to the European Charter taking into account the level of community development, local traditions and financial and human capacity.
- Preparation to the assignment and ratification of the European Charter;
- Conduction of educational and informational activities for the experts and civil servants, deputies, representatives of the civil society organizations and mass media.
Possible directions of cooperation with the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe
- Analysis of Belarusian legislation,
- Educational activities (skills development of Belarusian experts and civil servants, seminars, conferences, internships, consultations),
- Establishment of associations of local self-governments (including National Association),
- Participation of Belarusian specialists and youth in the events and projects of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe.
The presentation is available by the link.